This is our news from 2013 and earlier. Most recent at the top...
- Number 1, The Plaza WILL be back in London in 2015, for 2 whole weeks. Watch this space...
- Introducing this brand spanking new Big Hits DVD!
Filmed by the amazing Hugo Glendinning during our run at the Almeida Festival, the DVD of our acclaimed 2012 show is £28 for individuals and £45 for institutions. Go to our shop to order yours.
- The Guardian said this about Number 1, The Plaza, after Latitude Festival:
"Number 1, The Plaza... strips away all the illusions of theatre with a vengeful fury. Then it wipes the audience's face in it."
- Both this year's and last year's GETINTHEBACKOFTHEVAN mentee's Lucy Hutson and Lily Johnson have been awarded 2014 Artsadmin Bursaries. Nice one.
- Our 2014 mentee is the artist Lily Johnson.
- Our Artistic Director Hester Chillingworth will be performing in Hairpiece on March 21.
- Applications for the 2014 Mentoring Scheme are now open! Deadline: April 11.
- Our durational theatre game Hairpiece will be at SPRINT in London on March 21. Who's going to be hair with us?
- We are really pleased that for the first three months of 2014 we are working with Philippa Barr (producing consultant), Vic Shead (marketing consultant) and Mary Osborn (projects assistant) during a period of Arts Council funded organisational development.
- Our postponed Number 1, The Plaza date at Tom Thumb Theatre, Margate has been rescheduled for May 23.
- First few Number 1, The Plaza 2014 tour dates are now in! Here.
- We are really pleased to announce that be will be hosting our Mentoring Scheme again in 2014. Watch this space.
- Our new show Number 1, The Plaza, will open on October 16 at Colchester Arts Centre.
- We will be on residency at the New Wolsey in Ipswich for 2 weeks in August, working on our new show.
- We will be running a 2 day workshop called The Deadwood Stage - The Live Art Community Musical! on August 10 & 11 - as part of the Live Art Development Agency's DIY10.
We're going to thoroughly mess around with that all-time classic, Calamity Jane. This DIY10 session is being supported and hosted by Cambridge Junction.
- Big Hits will be returning to London in July 2013!! The show will be part of The Almeida Festival, at The Almeida Theatre.
Our dates are 25, 26, 27 July. Catch it here if you missed it at Soho in September 2012!
- The co-producers for our new show are PACT Zollverein (Germany), Colchester Arts Centre, Cambridge Junction.
- Big Hits will continue to tour throughout 2013. New dates recently in for the Autumn include Warwick Arts Centre, Wickham Theatre (Bristol) and Aberystwyth Arts Centre and, further afield, L1danceFest in Budapest and YEAHYEAHYEAH at Rote Fabrik in Zurich.
- For the first 2 weeks of July we will be on residency at PACT Zollverein in Germany, working on our new show.
- Since starting work on the show at wpZimmer in Antwerp in November 2012, we have had additional residencies for the new show at the following places: The Performance Centre (Falmouth), Cambridge Junction, The Point (Eastleigh), Tom Thumb Theatre (Margate) and the Almeida Theatre (London).
- In May 2013 we took Big Hits to Vienna Festwochen.
- We aired Hairpiece, a new durational piece for theatre spaces, at SAMPLED Festival at Cambridge Junction, in May 2013.
- In March 2013 we launched a mentoring scheme aimed at supporting an emerging artist or company. Our first mentee is the artist Lucy Hutson.
- We have been made an Associate Company of the Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance at Roehampton University, London.
- We made A - FRAME, our first standalone installation, in February 2013. It was installed at the Cambridge Junction season launch. We also wrote an article about our love/hate relationship with pop culture for the zine that was published for the launch.